Monday, August 30, 2021

This one is for you Grandpa!

Today marks the 5th death anniversary of my grandfather. I miss him dearly. 

My tears well up as I type these words. He was a super affectionate, awesomely caring individual who went a little early as he lost his will to live. While he was alive, we spoke every two-three days and he had even given up asking me about my plans to settle down in life (yes, he was orthodox in some of his thinking) but, in most things, he was quite evolved. 

He was a passionate individual who gave his all to whatever he did. Case in point, there were some dues that he had to get from one of the government firms right from the 1980's. Till his dying day, he pursued the matter and wrote letters after letter to the authorities in the hope that one day his labor will bear fruit. That day never came. But, what I learnt from this is grit and perseverance are qualities that one must have. 

When computers became an ordinary appliance to be found in every nook and corner, he learnt how to operate one. Albeit slowly, he picked up excel sheets, MS word and much more. A lesson that age is just a number and learning can happen anytime. He never hesitated to ask any of his grandchildren for help on this! He was so comfortable doing that because he was focused on learning the skills, not who  taught him. 

He was always eager to entertain friends and family - he firmly believed in the power of all. He introduced me to some of my favourite people in life.  A distant cousin, of who's existence, I was blissfully unaware of, was brought into my life by my grandfather, at one of the many trips I made to the IITs. He is one of the people I am really close to and am glad to have him! 

My grandfather was a great host - always on top of people's preferences and choices! It's one of the traits that I try to emulate and remember choices especially in food ! :)

Well, he wasn't perfect, he took decisions which I guess he regretted at some point in his life. And, again, there is something to learn from those as well. 

In the end, he was such a blessing to have around and now that he is not around anymore, I dearly miss him. But continue to remember him and the joyous memories he has left me with. 

I miss you badepapa. I wish I could see you one more time.. 


PS: This was meant to be published on 16th June, but since August is his birthday month, I think this is a better time for this post ! 
















 

No comments:

Post a Comment