Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Start your NEW life TODAY!



Well, there I was, living the life that millions would die for. A swanky city, a full-time job, domestic help for all household chores and friends to spend time with! But what nobody realized was that the life they longed to have was one I don’t wish anyone ever gets to experience firsthand! What they also did not realize was that all this had been possible because of one decision, and that decision was to get married.


Like almost every Indian girl, I was raised in a home where marriage proposals for girls aged 18 was a norm. Where these proposals were considered and like most families, my family too wanted me to agree to these proposals. In my quest to complete my education, I had said no to a few in the past and a few said no to me. But as fate would have it, certain unprecedented events, led me to agree to the idea of getting married and settle down. 


I was transferred to this magnificent city in the Western part of India immediately post the wedding . All was hunky dory until I realized that I had been tricked. I was expected to play the role of a strong man and shoulder the entire responsibility of the household, be a demure wife and give in to the whims of my chauvinist husband and to be the quintessential daughter in law and please my in-laws by wearing the correct clothes, displaying the correct mannerisms and making the right kind of food for their son at 7 am everyday. In return, I was to expect nothing. Not even the freedom to be able to buy myself a smartphone using my own paycheck. In fact, I was asked everyday to quit working and give it up to cook, clean and perhaps raise kids. 


This went on for about 2 years and I had sort of resigned to my destiny. This was meant to happen I thought to myself and prodded along. But somewhere along the way, it dawned on me that it’s my life and my only chance at being happy was if I changed things! That was it. There was no turning back. I stopped kneeling into the pressure to conform to the norms of society, let alone my own family who, then, thought of me as the black sheep.  


I took the decision to #Startanewlife and moved out of that apartment and with it, the shackles that I had been living with. To my surprise, very soon the chatter and buzz in society around the "developments" in my life died down. 

Since then, my life has changed and beautifully so! Today I have an  apartment  that feels like home. I miss it even when I am actually traveling to my original home. I cook food better than ever and I think I have become fabulous at it. My love for sweets continues unabated. I have a peaceful sleep everyday without any shadows hovering over me. I have traveled more than I imagined. My family now supports me in whatever I wish to do. 

I thank God everyday for the strength he gave me to endure longer than I could ever imagine and to finally be able to say goodbye when I needed to. 

My advice to everyone reading this post: Don’t Hesitate! It’s your life and you only live once!  Shun the apprehensions of what society will say! Do what your heart tells you to! And Lastly, it is NEVER too late! so go out and Start your NEW life TODAY!


You may startyourNewLife here: https://housing.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment